You’ve just come home and found your basement or kitchen flooded with water, thanks to a burst pipe. Or perhaps it has been raining, and the rainwater has gotten inside your house and flooded it. Either way, dealing with water damage is nerve-wracking, especially when you do not even know where to start. Here are some tips from Lamunyon Dry Out & Foundation Repair in Manhattan for dealing with water damage.
What You Should Do After Water Damage
- If it is possible, the first thing to do is to stop the water at the source to avoid further flooding. Shut off the valve at the appliance or your home’s water main shutoff valve.
- Turn off the electricity and remove any electrical devices that can be safely removed. If you are not sure about which ones can be safely removed, turn off the power and leave it at that.
- Place aluminum foil under furniture legs to prevent staining on the carpet. Alternatively, move the furniture from carpeted areas if you are able to do so.
- Remove any moisture-sensitive and valuable items from the floors. Check under the furniture to see whether there’s anything that needs to be saved.
- Call a water damage restoration company. A good choice is Lamunyon Dry Out & Foundation Repair.
- Get in touch with your insurance company to file your claim. They will work with the water damage restoration company on your claim.
- Wear protective gear and wash your hands after handling damaged items. Flooding can introduce harmful bacteria and pathogens into your home and it’s best to play it safe.
- Lift curtains and furniture skirts to avoid contact with the flood water.
What You Should Not Do After Water Damage
- Do not walk on a wet carpet. Walking on a wet carpet can cause staining and damage.
- Do not turn on fans or the heating and air conditioning units before the water damage restoration company gives you the green light. Turning on fans may spread contamination, especially if the flooding is sewage-related.
- Also, to avoid the possibility of electrical shock, it is best to avoid using a vacuum when your house is flooded.
- Do not place newspapers in traffic areas with the intention of creating an area you can walk on. Newspaper ink will easily stain your carpet.
- Do not delay in calling the water damage restoration company. Even if you have managed to get rid of water from your house, there is still moisture that cannot be gotten rid of using manual means of a towel and a bucket. Professional restorers will be able to mitigate the water damage and thoroughly dry your home so you can avoid problems like mold later on.
If you are not sure whether or not you should do something, you should call a water damage restoration company. A trained technician will respond quickly in emergencies and will assess the damage before beginning any work. Lamunyon Dry Out & Foundation Repair provides emergency water damage restoration and flood cleanup to the Manhattan area.