Molds are living organisms that grow in damp places in your Kansas home. They stain or discolor surfaces and smell musty. The slimy black spots on your shower curtain, the fuzzy white patches on your basement floor, and the slick orange film that forms on your kitchen drain are all signs of mold. Lamunyon Dry Out & Foundation Repair offers these tips for preventing mold growth. Walls, floors, appliances, carpets, and furniture can all provide the food mold needs to grow. But the key is moisture.
For this reason, you’re most likely to see mold growth in damp places such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, basements, and crawl spaces. There are hundreds of thousands of different types of mold. Molds are a type of fungi, and they reproduce by means of tiny microscopic spores. These can sometimes cause health problems. Mold does not affect everyone, and different people are affected differently when mold is breathed or inhaled. While some mold spores move through the air, others are sticky and cling to surfaces.
Mold plays a key role in the breakdown of wood, leaves, and other plant debris, using this material for food. Some mold spores are viable for years after they are produced, but even those that don’t continue to grow contain allergy-inducing substances. Molds produce allergens, irritants, and, in some cases, potentially toxic substances. You can prevent damage to your home and furnishings, save money, and avoid potential health problems by controlling moisture and eliminating mold growth. Mold is all about moisture. Molds gradually destroy the things they grow on. Living in an area prone to high humidity increases the chances of your home developing a mold problem.
Why do I have mold in my home?
All types of mold grow by means of water or moisture. The key to mold control is moisture control. They are part of the natural environment and can digest most things. But water is the factor that limits their growth. To help prevent mold in your home:
- Watch for condensation and wet spots.
- Make sure to fix plumbing and roof leaks as soon as possible.
- Vent moisture-generating appliances to the outside.
- Make sure the ground around the perimeter of the house and garage slopes away from your foundation and that drainage is adequate.
- Do not let your foundation stay wet.
- Do not store organic materials in humid locations in your home.
Getting Rid Of Mold
Visible mold should always be cleaned up as quickly as possible. Any mold spores left behind will continue to grow once the area is exposed to any moisture. Thoroughly clean and disinfect the area and dry completely. It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors. However, mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. If you have visible mold that you have removed, remember to take additional steps to reduce indoor humidity and moisture to prevent it from coming back. For small cases, it is likely you can handle the job yourself. Make sure to address the water problem that caused the mold in the first place. Cleaning up the mold without fixing the water problem will most likely result in the mold returning. For larger mold problems, you will want to contact professional mold removal experts.
Professional Mold Removal Services
To remove large areas of mold or areas of hidden mold in your home, it is best to hire a professional for mold removal. Lamunyon Dry Out & Foundation Repair provides mold removal throughout Mid Kansas and North Central Kansas, including Manhattan areas. A mold removal professional has tools to detect moisture in your home that can be contributing to mold growth. They will also take steps during mold removal to contain the mold to prevent the spores from spreading throughout your home. For large areas of mold, stubborn recurring mold, or even just mold you don’t want to remove yourself, call Lamunyon Dry Out & Foundation Repair.