Schedule An Appointment

Providing Basement Waterproofing and Foundation Repair services to the entire state of Kansas
We are actively engaged in keeping our customers and employees healthy. Click here to see our COVID-19 response

Importance Of Prompt Mold Removal

mold removal salina, mold remediation salina, mold cleanup salinaWhen homeowners in Salina hear the word ‘mold,’ many don’t know how to respond. The problem with mold is that, while it is very common, it is also very serious. Exposure to moldy and damp environments can cause a variety of health effects, especially to those who are sensitive to molds. If you do not know the risks of mold exposure, you may end up living with a mold problem in your home for prolonged periods of time before finally getting around to getting it resolved. Since mold can begin to grow in our homes very quickly, and very easily, it is important to know why mold is dangerous, and why it requires prompt professional mold removal.

Mold Removal Salina

There are over 60,000 species of mold present in our environment, both indoor and outdoor. Molds are fungi that thrive in damp, humid, and dark conditions. Mold grows and spreads through the production of spores – tiny microscopic particles that travel through the air. Because spores are so resilient and can be found virtually anywhere, if the right conditions present themselves in our homes (like a leaky or burst pipe, or any type of water damage), mold will begin to grow within 48 hours. Porous materials, such as paper products, cardboard, drywall, wood, insulation, carpet, and upholstery are all common sources that support mold growth. When mold begins to grow on these types of materials, it can begin to cause deterioration and break down. If mold can destroy these types of materials, imagine what it can do to our bodies and our health. 

Dangers Of Mold

While our immune systems were created to battle mold, it is overwhelming to our bodies in large quantities and over prolonged amounts of time. Mold exposure can cause a variety of symptoms like:

  • nasal congestion
  • coughing
  • wheezing 
  • irritation to eyes, throat, and skin

People with allergies, or those who are more sensitive to mold, can have more severe reactions like:

  • shortness of breath
  • chest pain
  • fatigue
  • headaches. 

Those who have compromised immune systems, or chronic illnesses, are prone to more serious infections in their lungs from mold exposure. In 2004, the Institute of Medicine did a study on mold exposure and found that there was sufficient evidence to link indoor mold exposure to upper respiratory tract symptoms in otherwise healthy people, and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children. Other more recent studies have suggested a link of early mold exposure to development of asthma and respiratory allergies in young children. Contacting the mold removal experts can be a health saving move. 

Contact The Mold Removal Professionals

While mold is very dangerous, we do not want you to be scared or overwhelmed; mold damage in your home can be remediated. We just want you to take it seriously. With the proper training, certification, experience, protection, and equipment, the mold removal professionals at Lamunyon can have your home and indoor air quality made safe and healthy again. We are able to correctly identify the type of mold, stop the source of water that is promoting growth, contain the mold and contamination to the affected area with the use of commercial-grade equipment, prevent spread of spores to other areas of the home, remove the mold, and sanitize and clean the area in safe accordance with IICRC standards. With the use of air filtration devices and proper cleaning supplies, we can remove airborne spores and improve the air quality. The only way to ensure safety to your home and health following mold damage is to have it taken care of professionally, so do not wait to call the mold removal specialists at Lamunyon if you see or suspect mold in your home.